Saturday 19 September 2020

Rigged Meter Rates

For the last twelve months I have been living in a house with prepaid meters for gas & electricity, and as I have to keep an eye on them so that they do not run out, I have been checking their figures.

At first it was weekly, but a couple of times it got to close so I started checking daily, then I found something odd. The figures had a pattern. Over the period of a week, there were only three values available, 82p, £1.01 & £1.20. It took me a while to see the pattern and after thinking about it, I realised that it was unlikly that I would use the same electricity exactly over a 24 hour period.

I started making sure that I checked the meters at the same time every day. Then I started varying the usage as much as possible, for instance one day I left all the lights on for a 24 hour period, another day I switched everything off after emptying the fridge and all clocks. Nothing made a difference. Each day one of the three known figures would appear.

It is perfectly obvious that these meters are rigged and are not a true reflection of energy used. I spoke to the energy company but they were not interested. I spoke to Ofgem and got a similar response.

Many people are struggling with rip-off bills. Many people are getting ill because of cold homes and thousands every year are dying. Yet the energy companies continue to rake in huge profits.

No comments:

Post a Comment